Atopic "flare-ups" are caused by an overreaction to certain allergens, like mold, dust and pollen. These and other allergens can often be reduced or avoided with these easy
- Throw away foam or stuffed dog beds that are older than 1 year.
- Wash all bedding once a week in hot water.
- Do not allow anyone to smoke in your home.
- Use a HEPA filter to clean the air.
- Dehumidify the home to help prevent house dust mites, mold growth and flea infestation.
- Use a household treatment to remove dust mites from carpets, bedding and upholstery.
- Bathe your pet regularly with antimicrobial shampoo to wash off any allergens.
- Keep your pet on a monthly flea-control program recommended by your veterinarian.